Sunday, May 23, 2010

Odds and Endings


Annandale, Sydney-The week has flown by bathed in rain water and dried off in pink towels. I spent the last 4 days at the IWG World Conference on Women in Sport, where I presented on my favourite topic, women's human rights in sport, or should I say, the lack thereof. The conference outcome called for any government money given to national sporting bodies to be linked to the sports increasing the representation of women on their boards. Personally, I will be taking this back to Canada and have a look at what swimming is doing. Surrounded by hundreds of women who care as much as I do about changing the world of sport it was a remarkable few days, and Lee and Kate really did give me a pink towel.

It rained a lot, but the sun came out just enough so that I could smile and enjoy the days. I had my first swim at the indoor Ian Thorpe Pool, which is so lovely and white. I also got to swim outside at my favourite pool in the world, the North Sydney Olympic Pool. Nestled under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, this art deco pool sits beside Luna Park and makes backstroke positively dreamy. Coney Island, eat your heart out.

As I walked along the corridor after my 6 minute hot shower (it costs 50 cents per 3 minutes), my eyes flitted across the lists of legends breaking World Records at the pool: Gould, Ford, Rose, Fraser, the Conrads and Devitt. Australia is so cool.

Made lots of new friends, including women cricketers and Aussie Rules players, was taught how to say hi when speaking one of the minority languages in Botswana, (its guchani by the way), and learned a lot of things about women's sports that I probably should have known, being that I have been involved in competitive sport for 30 years. We had lots of family time, eating with Clare T., Sally B., and Kate's mum and Dad. My cousins are so big now! I ate a lot of steak too. You just have to BBQ in Australia.

Off to the airport soon after I finish my last skinny flat white and delish baked eggs with mushrooms and feta in a hot pot at Clover. Be home in over a day. Scott will be there waiting for me! That's the only good part about having to say goodbye from down under. See you in October!

No comments: